The Armenians of Delhi built a church and according to old records, Rev. Father Stephanus was the priest in 1713.
During the sack of Delhi in 1739 by Nadir Shah, the marauding army devastated the city and only a small Armenian cemetery and the Martyr’s Chapel attached to it situated in Kishengunge on the outskirts of the city, escaped destruction. The oldest grave in this cemetery dates back to 1787. The chapel and the cemetery are being preserved by the Archaeological Department of the Government of India.