Tangra lies in the northern fringes of Kolkata. The Holy Trinity Chapel of Tangra was built on 1st March, 1867. The first centenary of the chapel was celebrated in March 1968 when a large number of Armenians attended the Holy Mass there. Around the chapel is an Armenian cemetery.
The oldest grave is that of C.G. Bijohn who died on 19th March, 1867. Beside the cemetery there is a large plot of land with a pond. The sexton’s quarter was built on this plot of land in 1914 by the late Manatsakan Macktertich at his own expense.On February 29, 2007, His Holiness Karekin II, Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians re-consecrated the historic Armenian church of the Holy Trinity. At the conclusion of the service, His Holiness presented the church with a “khatchkar” (cross-stone) from Holy Etchmiadzin.