ST. MARY’S ARMENIAN CHURCH OF SAIDABAD

Khoja Petros Arathoon built the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary at Saidabad in 1758, at his own expense in memory of his parents and brothers.A prominent Armenian merchant benefactor who was a resident in Saidabad was Manatsakan Vardan. He was the Founder of the Armenian Philanthropic Academy, which was inaugurated on April 2, 1821. Manatsakan Vardan passed away on October 13, 1827 and is buried in the church at Saidabad.The church closed down after its last sermon in 1860. In 2005 the newly elected Church Committee of Kolkata carried out a major restoration programme the likes of which has never been witnessed in the annals of the Armenian community of India.

ST. MARY’S ARMENIAN CHURCH OF SAIDABAD (1758) Girbijapara, P.O. Khagra, Saidabad Murshidabad, WB, INDIA
ST. MARY’S ARMENIAN CHURCH OF SAIDABAD (1758)
Girbijapara, P.O. Khagra, Saidabad
Murshidabad, WB, INDIA

On December 5, 2006, the St. Mary Armenian Church of Saidabad was re-consecrated by His Eminence Archbishop Aghan Baliozian. It is a matter of great delight that regular services are held today at Saidabad attended by the Armenian community of Kolkata and the children of the Armenian College and Philanthropic Academy.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *